Nov 9, 2016

Pistachio, Rose, and Cardamom Snowballs

snowball cookie pistachio rose cardamom recipe vegan christmas vegetarian eggless

A classic American Christmas cookie gets a flavor makeover with rich pistachios, delicate rose, and spicy cardamom! Buttery, tender, and eggless these snowball cookies are always a hit no matter what the occasion. These beautiful treats can easily be made vegan and would be a delicious addition to any holiday platter.

snowball cookie pistachio rose cardamom recipe vegan christmas vegetarian eggless

By now you've probably figured out that rose and cardamom are two of my favorite dessert flavors. Yes, it's true! From kulfi, to kheer, to cake, to cookies - I love this flavor combination! Throw in some pistachios or coconut and I'm in heaven. So it's probably no surprise that I took my beloved snowball cookie recipe from my old 4-H cookbook and made it with pistachios instead of walnuts or pecans. And what better flavors to compliment pistachios than rose and cardamom? You don't have to make these the festive (or lurid) green that I did. You could make them brilliant pink with a few drops of red food coloring or simply leave the coloring out altogether. These cookies can easily be made vegan by substituting a good quality margarine in place of the butter.

Ingredients:
3/4 C pistachios/pista, coarsely chopped
1 C butter, softened to room temperature (or a good quality margarine)
3/4 C powdered sugar
2 & 1/4 C flour/maida
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp ground cardamon (or the seeds from 8 cardamom pods ground coarsely)
2 tsp rose water
1 tsp vanilla or pistachio extract
A few drops green food coloring
Extra powdered sugar for rolling the cookies in

Here's what to do:

1) In a large mixing bowl combine together pistachios, butter, powdered sugar, flour, salt, flavorings, and green food coloring. Chill dough covered with cling film for at least 4 hours.


2) When ready to bake preheat oven to 325F/165C. Roll chilled dough by tablespoonful into 1 inch balls. For a little extra flavor place a few drops of rose water on your hands before rolling the dough. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone mats about 2 inches apart.


3) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are browned lightly. Immediately remove with spatula and allow to cool on rack.


4) If desired, roll the cookies in powdered sugar while still warm. Makes 24 cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.


Helpful Hints:
Add a little extra flavor by sprinkling a few drops of rose water on your hands before rolling the dough.

14 comments:

  1. They are so pretty! I love pistachios, although I tend to eat them as an accompaniment to a glass of beer.
    Your butter is very yellow, it took me a while to work out what it was in the photo. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix,
      I'll have you know that is Australian butter! It's quite delicious too. I picked up some Tasmanian cheddar that was quite yummy too. Nepali butter is very good quality but for some reason hard to find.
      Aren't these fun for a change from the usual Xmas cookies?

      Delete
    2. I was going to comment on the yellow butter too - it's so bright.

      Those biscuits look lovely.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mim,
      Thank you!
      Actually, I THOUGHT that was the Aussie butter but it's some Amul butter from India, lovely stuff!

      Delete
  2. Bibi,I am very enthusiastic to make your snowballs this week.I need to get some rose water.I will put some pink coloring, From you I know I can learn a lot/when I read some other recipe,I give up without starting.I own glass plate,that is good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope,
      I'm so glad you like my recipes! I'm sure you'll not have any problems with this recipe & your pink cookies will turn out beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Bibi, for a lovely Christmas gift idea! My dining room walls are an odd peachy-coral, so I decorate with white poinsettias and light greens rather than the traditional Victorian reds and greens. These snowballs would make attractive "plate gifts" for my guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      Oh, how pretty! These snowballs would fit right in!

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh these are so pretty. If we didn't have nut allergies, I'd make them in a heartbeat. I love cardamom and rose together in rice pudding-such a delicious combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Goody,
      Thank you!
      Sorry, It is getting cold enough now that I can actually buy chocolate - so I'll be making some chocolate-y sweets instead of nutty ones soon.

      Delete
  5. These snowballs look delicious and quiet a handful too. I don't like pistachios much. They tend to have a fruity taste unlike other dry fruits like cashew or almonds which are more crunchy. But I guess the combination of cardamom, pistachios and rose water is unbeatable.

    These heavy duty balls remind me of dry fruit laddos given to my wife during pregnancy. Every region has a slightly different recipe for it.

    http://www.thehealthsite.com/pregnancy/healthy-pregnancy-recipe-dry-fruit-ladoos-d0216/

    Quiet a formidable combination.

    Apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Apple,
      Thank you!
      These cookies are only about as big as a laddoo. I love the 'fruity' flavor of pistachios balanced with rose & cardamom.

      Delete

Any questions? Please feel free to ask!

Printfriendly